Thursday 24 November 2011

Mabel Lucie Attwell knitting patterns


After yesterday's post about 1920s baby and maternity wear, Marigold (from Mellow Fruitfulness blog) pointed out that the illustrations were very similar in style to Mabel Lucie Atwell, and she also told me that Atwell had designed knitting patterns for Jaeger. And here is one! Children's Woollies, published circa 1925, featuring Atwell's Jaeger Twins on the cover.

Originally part of Leach's Sixpenny Knitting Series, this hard-to-find pattern is now worth slightly more than sixpence. A copy had been sold at Bloomsbury Auctions this year as part of a small collection of children's books for £400. Better start saving, or praying to the Jumble Sale Fairy...

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to get my hands on that pattern, I have a book of Mabel Lucie Atwell cross stitch designs taken from her card illustrations, simply gorgeous.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too... I'm sure if they reissued this book it would sell lots of copies. I want to see inside! *makes whining noise*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh I'll just the waiting list for that book too. Gorgeous pics. Now to find that cross stitch book....

    ReplyDelete